Titanic Blog


Titanic Photo: 

This photograph shows a large ventilation shaft designed to feed fresh air into the furnaces of the No. 5 boiler room on Titanic. Originally, a cowl head (chimney covering) was placed over the shaft to prevent rain from seeping in, but the cover has since corroded and vanished. Vent shafts are usually empty, but this vent shaft held access ladders and platforms to permit inspection and maintenance of the shaft, steam pipes and electrical cables.


Titanic Photo:


This photo from the Titanic wreck site shows memorial plaques placed on the Ship’s remains underwater. They pay tribute to everyone who perished during the sinking including passengers, crewmembers and postal workers. Expedition teams, historical societies and individuals have arranged these plaques on the bottom of the ocean.


Titanic Artifact:

Marian Meanwell, a British milliner (hat maker) by trade, was a third-class passenger onboard RMS Titanic.  She decided to emigrate from England and start a new life in New York at age 63. Many letters and personal documents were recovered from her alligator-skin purse in the wreck field.

The artifact photo above is a letter of recommendation from her landlord in Wandsworth (Southwest London) stating that Marian was a reliable tenant.  The handwritten note is dated May 01, 1911 and states: “This is to certify that we have always found Miss Meanwell a good tenant and prompt in payment of her rent.  Wheeler Sons & Co.”

Reference letters were important documents for immigrants planning to relocate. Wheeler Sons & Co. was an established business that would not supply a reference lightly.  Marian’s last known residence was in Eastbourne, Sussex, and it is believed that she intended to use this letter to rent after docking in New York.  She did not survive the sinking.


Titanic Artifact:

This artifact, a St. Patrick’s Day postcard, was sent to Howard Irwin, a passenger onboard Titanic. It holds no postmark date and was found in the wreckage debris. The top-right corner of the card features the phrase “Erin Go Bragh,” an anglicized interpretation of a Gaelic phrase meaning “Ireland Forever.” The phrase “St. Patrick’s Day Souvenir” is visible along the bottom.

At the center of the card is an image of Blarney Castle, located five miles outside of Cork City and approximately 13 miles from Queenstown. Dermot McCarthy, King of Munster, built Blarney Castle in 1446. The castle is also home to the “Blarney Stone” that, if kissed, imparts the gift of eloquence on the person who kisses it. Enthusiastic kissers have been going to Blarney Castle to kiss the stone since the 1800s.  Winston Churchill did it in 1912.  Have you kissed the Blarney Stone?

St. Patrick’s Day is named after Saint Patrick, the 5th-century patron saint of Ireland. For over 1000 years, Ireland has celebrated the supposed anniversary of Saint Patrick’s death.

*To see more postcards recovered from Howard Irwin’s luggage click here.




Queenstown Harbor: Titanic's Last Stop

Queenstown, Ireland was Titanic’s last port of call on the voyage to New York. Queenstown, now called Cobh (Cove), is one of the largest natural harbors in the world. Located near Cork on the southern coast of Ireland, Cobh is nestled on a rugged hillside overlooking the entrance to the harbor.

Taken from East Hill, the photograph faces the entrance of the harbor. Spike Island can be viewed on the right side of the photo. The two high points of land at the entrance were guarded by Fort Carlisle to the left and Fort Camden to the right.

Millions of Irish emigrants departed from Queenstown between 1848 and 1950, seeking a new life in North America. Much of historic Queenstown still remains including the train station, White Star Line’s office building, and St. Colman Cathedral. One can imagine the excitement and confusion of the passengers and crew who passed through Cobh’s harbor waters to an unknown future.


This photo taken at Titanic’s wreck site displays two windows from first-class cabins. The window on the left leads to Stateroom W, while the window on the right leads to Stateroom U.

Historians believe that Staterooms W and U were unoccupied for Titanic’s maiden voyage. The rectangular transoms located above the window frames were designed to ventilate the cabin during rough weather without letting in water.

The large box in the photograph’s bottom left corner is a boat deck winch. Boat deck winches are commonly used to raise and lower boats from water. Titanic’s winches were not needed the night of the accident because the lifeboats were lowered by the force of gravity.


Titanic Photo:


This photo shows a view of Captain Smith's bath tub. The plumbing allowed the Captain a choice of salt or fresh water, hot or cold.


Photos of Titanic:

Here we see the remains of Titanic’s mast lying over the cargo hatch. Titanic flew several flags including the iconic House Flag of the White Star Line and the Royal Mail Pendant (among others). She flew a Blue Ensign because a certain percentage of Her officers were in the Royal Navy Reserve.


Hull Fracture Picture of Titanic:

Here we see a hull fracture on Titanic's starboard side near the mail room. Titanic's hull is covered in rusticles, which are causing massive corrosion to the Ship. Since Titanic's sinking, as much as 20% of Titanic's bow has already been destroyed by microorganisms, which will eventually cause Titanic to collapse on the sea bed floor. 


Perfume Card Titanic Artifact:

This perfume card was found in the luggage of second-class RMS Titanic passenger Franz Pulbaum.  The card was infused with the scent of Aeolian—a perfume created by the House of Lenthéric of Paris.  Lenthéric was established in 1875 by Guillaume Lenthéric, a hairdresser, who created a perfume empire beginning with a small salon on rue Saint-Honoré in Paris that catered to the aristocracy.  As the business became profitable, Lenthéric built a factory in Courbevoie, outside Paris, and was recognized as one of the best-known designers and manufacturers of new, bold perfumes. Pulbaum could have picked up this card at any one of a number of places in Paris, but most likely at the House of Lenthéric itself.  Lenthéric today still produces bold and original perfumes.